Hey blog, been a while. Almost seven months, actually.

I figured it was time for a bit of an update on what’s up with me and I’m happy to report that things are actually decent. Summer is always a busy and expensive time. It often makes me wonder how I’d handle living somewhere warm year round. Would I still find nine months of the year to work on projects or would I start taking advantage of the fact that I could be outside any time that I want to be?

Anyway, I may have been MIA from the blog and a lot of my regular internet haunts but I’ve been fairly productive when it comes to projects. I’ve finished designs on a card game system which is the bulk of the work on the project and I’m currently making concept art for the prototype. It should be “playable” for testing around the end of November and finalized by the end of December. I’m pretty excited about it, it has been bouncing around my head for the last year. I’ll talk about it more in a couple weeks once I buy the domain I need and build a placeholder website for it!

I managed to win/save enough money over the summer to buy a Macbook Pro. This is the largest purchase I’ve needed to make in a while and took a long time to save but I did it. The new computer opens up the world of Recording/Editing/Mixing for podcasts and covers/original music for youtube. Since this is my most successful avenue to date, I’ve wanted to up the quality of my content there for a long time. I wasn’t able to do that on my old laptop. So, I’ve also been dabbing a little more in recording lately and hope to launch a bunch of new content there.

More good news is that I pretty much have everything I’ve wanted/needed to work on projects, which frees me up to start actually saving and putting more money into projects both new and old. I’ve been trying to save up a hefty sum of money to either go to school for a year or move to somewhere to trying and break into film. I plan to relaunch Civilian soon as well.

And that’s where I’m at. Updates soon!

After a bunch of pissing around and never legitimately doing anything to further my hobby of doing background work, I finally got my shit together and went and had some headshots taken. I just don’t feel that they looks like me though haha. Here’s one:

Dustin Parker-2

At the beginning of the year I made a resolution to completely overhaul my life. After that I went a little silent on the blog. I’ve actually been making solid strides towards my goal.

On Feb.17, I hopped on a plane headed for Vegas. It’s ultimately a tourist destination, I wouldn’t exactly specify it as “travel”. I reserve that term for more exotic places or more adventurous trips but it was exactly what I needed. I hadn’t been anywhere since 2005 and a party trip was the perfect re-introduction to the world of globe trotting. The next travel goal is a long overdue trip to L.A. Hopefully, around Vidcon in summer.

Around the end of February, after seeing casting call after casting call notices in my Twitter feed, I started to come to the conclusion that it was time to bite the bullet and get some professional headshots. Basically, to take the first step toward dabbling in acting. I have no disillusions, I know that it’s unlikely to succeed at all in that industry…especially where I currently live but I want to approach it as a hobby. Plus, if you don’t put yourself out there then it will for sure never happen.

I guess the universe was thinking the same thing because the company I go through to get background acting gigs (nothing to brag about) called me up and told me that they’d been submitting me for lots of commercials and film roles…which I had no idea that they did or were doing. They told me I’d been in the running but the directors weren’t taking my headshots seriously. The reason being because basically I’d always update my profiles with what I currently look like but I would just send them in 10 second selfies because I didn’t know that I was being considered for featured gigs. I though it was for the stuff way in the background that didn’t really matter what you look like.

So, I took they’re advice to use their services and on March 9th I went and got myself some proper headshots. It went pretty well. It was a little awkward because as much as I love taking selfies…paying someone to take my picture feels a little odd. At least now I can start to submit to getting proper auditions.